Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Snakes, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails

I say it all the time, my son is "all boy." I'm a great believer in the impact of nurture, but having a child has shown me just how influential nature is, too. It has never seemed to matter how many times I sit my son down quietly with a book, or try to convince him to cuddle with me in the early mornings on the couch; he would much rather climb a windowsill.

I have four nieces, and I feel like getting to know them over the years sorely misrepresented what motherhood would look like for me.. especially with the oldest two. I remember spending quiet mornings with one niece, reading stories on a blanket and singing nursery rhymes, all the while she would giggle and hold her soft toys close. And when my son was born, I got that. For about six months before he learned to crawl. And then at 10 1/2  months, he took his first steps. And I'm pretty sure he hasn't stopped moving since.

Everything is always full speed ahead. He doesn't talk back or give me much attitude but he certainly makes his opinions known. He juts off full speed in every direction, throws baseballs at my face like a major league pitcher and screams in a tone that you would think is "all girl," though I've learned it's pretty indicative of toddler-aged boys. Bottom line: he's nuts.

I used to feel embarrassed about his inability to follow directions during gymnastics class or wait his turn at soccer; I've cringed when people meet him, legs covered in bruises, and probably think I don't pay attention to my child, or worse. And then I started to get the response that made me feel better. "He's all boy, isn't he?" People would ask as he came crashing onto the playground, his little body moving too fast for his legs to keep up.

Since becoming a mother to a boy, I've decided I definitely believe in toddler gender stereotypes. Sure it's not a hard-and-fast rule -- I do have one niece who would give my son a run for his money -- but it seems to hold true more often than not.

The acknowledgement from other mothers who have the same observations about the differences between toddler girls and boys reassures me that I'm not making unnecessary excuses for my son's poor behaviors. I definitely put him in time out when he's being mean on purpose, but the fact of the matter is, when you're moving as fast as my son does, sometimes there are accidental casualties. I don't want to punish him for being who he is. Crazy isn't all bad. He's just "all boy."

It's funny how in these media battles of breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding, SAHM vs. working mom, we seem to lose the idea that we are all in this together. Usually my son is able to give me the queues and clues to let me know he's okay. But, in this instance, it was the shared stories with other mothers -- barely more than acquaintances -- that has made me feel at peace with my son's crazy behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment