Tuesday, February 10, 2015

It runs in the family.

My son is a comedian. At only 15 months old he will do anything for a laugh. My husband and I (as well as any unsuspecting person who comes into contact with him) must be on our guard at all times because if you dare laugh at a behavior - good or bad - he will continue said behavior until the end of time.

This has created weeks of patting his mouth like an Indian during mealtimes and bending at the waist before making a loud (and very fake) laugh. He also giggles every time he farts and burps (did I mention he's his father's son?)

Sometimes I can't help but laugh at the kid. He's just so strange, and most of his antics are amusing, but I try my hardest to be a good mom and not create bad habits. I admit, the amount of times I've had to leave a table with my hand cupped tightly over my mouth are countless.

When he catches an unsuspecting visitor off guard it's the best (I mean worst). Today during a play date with cousins, he banged his head on the wall and laughed. My unsuspecting cousin let out a little laugh in return and he immediately began a pattern of bang head-look at audience-laugh-bang head again. We had to attempt to ignore the constant bang-giggle coming from his corner of the playroom to get him to stop. But seriously, anything for a laugh - this kid is a clown!

I guess we could attribute this to genes. My husband and I both like to laugh. A sense of humor tends to top the list of many people's "important traits in a mate," but for my husband and I, it's the ultimate. Neither of us takes ourselves too seriously and laughter has been our biggest strength for the entirety of our relationship. My son, the splitting image of my husband, has gotten this trait from both of us. We spend so much time saying "the baby has your nose," "oh he has your laugh," "he gets his creativity from you" that I have to cherish this little piece of both of us and pray one day he finds people who love his sense of humor - head banging and all - just as much as we do.

-N.

Slightly Crunchy: giving in to some of the earth-preserving, "granola-esque" qualities that are often associated with mothers such as cloth diapering, breastfeeding and organic baby food-making, but without fully embracing the "make-your-own-clothes-wear-organic-deodorant-all-natural-everything" lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment